Congo and Rwanda Presidents to Sign Peace Deal in Washington

The presidents of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda are set to travel to Washington next week to sign a peace agreement and meet US President Donald Trump, sources told Reuters. The meeting is scheduled for December 4, according to Congolese presidential spokesperson Tina Salama. Representatives for Rwanda’s Paul Kagame and the White House did not immediately comment.
The visit aims to reinforce a US-brokered peace deal reached in June and a Regional Economic Integration Framework agreed earlier this month. The two leaders are expected to ratify both agreements, with Congo emphasising that respect for national sovereignty is essential for regional integration.
The Trump administration hopes the visit will also pave the way for Western investment in eastern Congo, a region rich in tantalum, cobalt, copper, lithium and gold. Despite agreements, implementation on the ground has been limited, with the elimination of armed groups and withdrawal of Rwandan troops still incomplete.
Rwanda denies backing the M23 rebel group, which seized key eastern Congolese cities this year, though UN experts report it controls the rebels. Separate talks hosted by Qatar have led to a framework agreement between Congo and M23, but many details remain unresolved. Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi told diaspora members that full withdrawal of Rwandan troops is needed for genuine regional economic integration.